Gado Gado is one of famous dishes from Indonesia. In 2018, gado-gado was promoted as one of five national dishes. Gado-gado is widely sold in almost every part of Indonesia, with each area having its own modifications. Basically gado gado is a salad with a peanut sauce dressing. Besides vegetables, the ingredients used to make gado gado are tofu, tempeh and boiled eggs. But if you are vegetarian, of course you can make this recipe without using eggs. In Indonesia, Gado Gado is usually eaten together with rice or Lontong (rice cake: rice wrapped in a banana leaf).
- 1 cup Bean Sprout
- 250 gr Spinach (chopped)
- 1 pcs Cucumber (medium size, chopped into small slice)
- 100 gr Long Bean (chopped into 3 cm)
- 150 gr Cabbage or chicory (chopped)
- 2 pcs Steamed Potatoes (big size, chopped into 4 parts/pcs)
- 1 pcs Tofu (around 400 gr, cubed)
- 1 pcs Tempeh (around 400gr, cubed)
- 4 pcs Boiled Eggs
- Roasted Onions (optional)
- Crackers (prawn or garlic) (optional)
Ingredients for Peanut Sauce:
- 100 gr Roasted Peanuts (unsalted)
- 100 gr Roasted Cashews (unsalted)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 4 pcs Bird's eye chili
- 1 tbsp Tamarind
- 600 ml Coconut Milk (this time i used Almond Milk)
- 4 pcs Kaffir lime leaves
- 50 gr Palm sugar
- 2 tbsp Sweet Soy sauce
- 1 pcs Lime
- a pinch of Salt
- Heat the pan and add a bit of oil. Saute garlic and chili until fragant for about 3 minutes. Blend the Roasted Peanuts, Roasted Cashews, garlic, Bird's eye chili and coconut milk using food processor until the texture smooth.
- Heat the sauce pan and add a bit of oil. Add the peanut sauce mixture, Tamarind, Kaffir lime leaves, Palm sugar, Sweet Soy sauce, Lime and a pinch of salt. Stir well until it boils and thickens. Set aside
- Blanch all of the vegetables except cucumber. Make sure not too long so the vegetables are still fresh and crunchy. Set aside
- Heat the pan and add oil, fry tempeh and tofu but don't let it get too crispy. Set aside
- Place all of the vegetables and steamed potatoes on a plate or bowl.
- Add tofu and tempeh on top of the vegetables.
- Pour peanut sauce on top and then Sprinkle with roasted onions.
- Add egg and Crackers on top of it.Your Indonesian salad is ready to be enjoyed!