Soto Betawi (Betawi´s Beef Coconut Milk Soup)
Soto Betawi is a signature dish from Jakarta, one of favorite dishes in Indonesia. The soup is very flavorful because it is made from various spices and coconut milk.
- 1 kg of Beef (use tender beef such as fillet or tenderloin)
- Water to boil the beef
- 2 cm ginger
Boil beef together with ginger until tender.This process takes 1-1.5 hours, but if using a pressure cooker only takes 30 minutes. After tender, cut the beef into cubes, then briefly fry until golden browned. Set aside the broth because it will be used in the next step.
- 10 cloves asian shallot
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 pcs candlenut (roast first)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 pcs of lemongrass (crush it with a tool such as meat tenderizer or mortar & pistil)
- 4 cm galangal
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 2 pcs of cinnamon
- Beef broth
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml milk
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee
Finely chop the spice blend with a food processor until the texture smooth. Heat the pan and add oil. Saute the spice blend and ingredients B. Cook until cooked and fragant (cook with low heat). Add the ingredients C and stir until it boils.
- Potatoes (cut into cubes and fry it)
- Spring onions (cut into small pieces)
- Fried onions
- Sweet soy sauce
- Put potatoes, beef, tomatoes and spring onions into a bowl
- Add the soup
- Sprinkle with fried onions, lime and a bit of sweet soja sauce on top
Your bowl of happiness is ready. Happy tummy, happy life. Enjoy it!